Have you ever tasted a summer ripened tomato fresh from the vine? If you haven’t, you are seriously missing out. Trust us, nothing you get from the grocery stores comes anywhere near that taste. Apart from that, there are so many reasons to grow a garden in your backyard. While contemplating what to grow, don’t forget to order our worm castings for your vegetable garden for an amazingly healthy produce. Without further ado, let’s look at why you should start consuming home-grown veggies!
1. Your vegetables stay fresh longer- Store bought vegetables start going soft just after a couple of days. Garden fresh vegetables have a longer life comparatively. The reason? The veggies you pick from the grocery store were picked at least a week before making it to the shelves. So, you gain shelf life when you pick from your own backyard.
2. It will save you money- You don’t always buy organically grown vegetables and fruits from the supermarket because they are a tad costly. When it comes to growing your own, you can keep it organic and well within budget. Using worm castings for vegetable gardens doesn’t cost you more than using non-organic fertilizers. If you spray your vegetables with chemicals, you may as well buy them from the stores.
3. The variety is impressive- You will get so many vegetable varieties to choose from that you will be awed. On the shelves of the store, you will maybe find four or five different tomato types but go to a nursery to buy seeds, you will have a dozen options to choose from. And isn’t trying new things delightful? If you come across a new zucchini variety, give it a shot. If you want purple carrots, plant purple carrots.
4. You can skip a few trips to the grocery store- We all have days when we don’t feel like leaving the house at all. Whatever may be the reason, if you invest some time in gardening, you have nothing to worry about. You will always have something growing to make a decent dinner. Next summer, try roasted vegetables tacos. Just pick some vegetables from the garden, roast them with spices and serve them with rice or put them in tortillas.
5. It is a useful hobby- It is always good to take up a new hobby. Choose vegetable gardening and you will never go hungry. You are very much capable of growing your own food, if you put your mind to it. Becoming self-sufficient is a wonderful idea and we are all for it.
6. You will make yourself proud- From preparing the soil to watering the seeds, you will enjoy every moment. When you see the seeds sprouting, you will feel so proud. You will be excited to check on your garden every single day. Give yourself a pat on the back for all the hard work you put into your garden!
Buy worm castings for houseplants and vegetable gardens from Gardener’s Thumb! Our worm castings are loaded with minerals vital for a healthy growth.